- Ideation is big and risky, and requires a safe environment, including and especially for quieter introverts, but also for "but my first idea is awesome!" loud kids (*ahem*)
- Ideation requires separating your thinking from "And what will the logistics of the final product be?"... instead, just get EVERY little idea out on the table!
Lots of great resource links (highlighted) as well as very concrete ideas shared below!
- Q1 was "Why ideate?"
- This drew out a question re: difference between ideation and brainstorming.
- Followed by a conversation about setting up the learning environment for safe ideation, risk-taking.
- Q2 was "How do you set the stage for ideation?"
- Q3 was "What challenges do you encounter, and how to you overcome them?"
- This led to a conversation about teachers and admins doing DT together in PD!
- Q4 was "Top tip for getting ideation flowing, thinking beyond simple/obvious?"
- This led to a final brief conversation about "fitting it in" and integrating DT as mindset rather than a "unit"
People still joining, but let's get started... Q1: Why ideate? #dtk12chat
- A1: ideation helps students formulate and connect ideas! #dtk12chat
- A1: to ideate is to start the process - to identify possibility, sequence and causality - it's the 1st of many steps #dtk12chat
- A1: Ideation brings people together and inspires conscious evolution. #dtk12chat
- A1--Ideation allows 4 quantity of ideas & encouraging wild ideas that can bring u to new, innnovative places #dtk12chat
- A1: Ideation uncovers remote possibilities & fosters slow hunches #dtk12chat
- A1: We ideate to promote the fluid creation of possibilities in a risk-free and non-judgemental setting. #dtk12chat@jimtiffinjr Difficult for kids. That suspending judgment and reaching for something beyond what's cool with their peers. #dtk12chat
- A1 ideate to dig deep go beyond the surface find connection & meaning… Also, ideate to grow attachment #dtk12chat
- ideation is way for students to have their voices heard and to apply it to a project where they are vested. #dtk12chat
- A1= Ideation should democratize sharing rather than favour 'the loud', the confident, the few. #DTk12chat
Ideating in Design Thinking http://contagiouscreativity.wordpress.com/2009/01/15/ideating-in-design-thinking/ … #dtk12chat
@designsaunders Good piece on the "lightbulb moment" and creative process - http://stagesofpresence.com/ideation/ #dtk12chat
#dtk12chat I had a colleague ask me what's the difference between ideation and brainstorming?
How is ideation different from brainstorming? How do we slow the leap to solutions/features? #dtk12chat
- I think brainstorming is getting the ideas out there, ideation is collectively and collaboratively doing something with them #dtk12chat
@kamithor @JimTiffinJr Wondering... if it is up to teachers/facilitators to ensure the environment is safe for exploration. #dtk12chat
- @DrLeeAnneG @kamithor @JimTiffinJr d.School promotes brainstorming rules We call them Brainstorming Goals http://deepdesignthinking.com/deep-brainstorming-rules/ … #dtk12chat
Q2: How do you set the stage for ideation? What strategies have you found effective to help push beyond the obvious? #DTK12chat
- A2: build opps for ideation into your curriculum, support students in a open and flexible space. Help them find partners #dtk12chat
- A2 you show/do what ideation looks like for the group and you give wild and crazy ideas in your examples #dtk12chat it makes it ok to do
- Definitely creating a culture where Ss feel safe & comfortable to take risks & have 'wacky' ideas #dtk12chat
- A2: Ones that have worked best for me breakdown students' notions that "copying" is a bad thing. I introduce the idea of remixing #dtk12chat
- A2. Set the foundation with questions, lots of opportunities to gain empathy and think about the people first #DTk12chat
- A2: "speak the language" of the population. B able to wear the right lenses to facilitate the conversation and ask questions #dtk12chat
- A2: I'm encouraged when Ss pose questions that no one saw coming! #dtk12chat
- Icebreakers help get creativity flowing for group brainstorming. http://www.ksde.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=o8HptpMOiXo=&tabid=4067 … #dtk12chat
- Adding obvious constraints can be fun way 2 encourage getting thru 'stuck points' & creating ideas in new directions #dtk12chat
- A2: create a community in your classroom early on in the year so students feel comfortable with each other #dtk12chat
- Getting students to believe the problem the are working on is real & relevant = 1st step towards culture shifts? #dtk12chat
One thing we have used is the "innovating for people" card deck from @LUMAInstitute - Ss can pick any card out of pile #dtk12chat--------------------------
Q3: What challenges do you encounter when exploring this phase of design thinking? How do you overcome them? #dtk12chat
- Q3: I ask "what if" questions to make it silly. Ex- what if we were on the moon? Or underwater? #dtk12chat
- A3= Sometimes there is a 'lull'. Pause, break, come back to it. Also, INDIVIDUAL reflection time is needed. #DTK12CHAT
- A3. challenges of ideation: thinking an idea is too dumb to share #dtk12chat
- A3: In working with teachers & students, ideation is the “fuzzy middle” - hard to define #dtk12chat
- A3: teachers scared to let go of control, time, students not used to this type of agency. #DTk12chat
- A3: teachers need to monitor responses to avoid staying in role of 'oh gate keeper' of acceptable knowledge give me a point" #DTk12chat
- A3: avoid 'good', 'great idea', keep mannerisms neutral. Ask for clarification of abstract concepts. #DTK12CHAT
- A3. People thinking their first idea is best and not moving on #DTk12chat
- A3. People thinking that to be good at ideation you have to be the one to come up with the idea #DTk12chat
- Technology opens kids up, but so does throwing in some crazy ideas and saying "go". also learning to say "I was wrong." is good #dtk12chat@swhitmer_edu Ss love when I admit that I'm wrong. Actually have told me that they hadn't had Ts say that before #dtk12chat
Get over challenge with Ts being unsure by doing DT w them as a PD activity - makes them feel more comfortable #real #DTk12chat
@DesignSaunders @Learn21Tech helpful to get admin to exp & understand the importance of both. Wish we could embrace -ish schedule #dtk12chat
@Learn21Tech I think having teachers experience DT as a part of PD is very important. This is where buy in can begin. #dtk12chat
@brookehight for sure - I love having them use DT to remake their curriculum. Makes it a very real method of curricular growth #DTk12chat
@Learn21Tech Last year we had a DT PD session where we designed the perfect faculty lounge. So much fun! #dtk12chat
Q4: What is your “top tip” to help get the juices flowing and teams pushing beyond the obvious? #dtk12chat
- A4 = Analogies & using extended metaphors #dtk12chat
- A4. Ask them if it is provocative and plausible #DTk12chat
- A4: Consider changing the space or setting. Go outside the classroom? Get them standing at least. #DTK12chat
- A4. Do lateral thinking. Write a story of random words and use that as inspiration for generating #DTk12chat
- Q4: Top Tip! Practice divergent thinking! http://kealakeherobotics.org/student-experience/divergent-thinking-games/ … #dtk12chat
- A4: let them "gimme crazy;" once they come out of the box, then we can refine the process. they just have to get past the Obv #dtk12chat
- A4: Top Tips: reflection, contemplation, mindful awareness practices. #dtk12chat
- Q4 I start with the story of how silly putty was supposed to be replacement for rubber.Great things come from unexpected places. #dtk12chat@swhitmer_edu Yes & this makes me think of Klutz book of inventions by founder of klutz & brendan boyle at toy lab at IDEO #dtk12chat
- A4: Fun Ideas for the classroom http://www.glencoe.com/sec/busadmin/entre/teacher/creative/brain/act1.htm … #dtk12chat
- Q4: have students share their worst idea & get it out of the way! Reduces fear.... #dtk12chat
- A4 OM spontaneous problems to warm up and practice divergent thinkng http://www.odysseyofthemind.com/practice/default_cat.php?Id=2 … #dtk12chat
Here is a shot of one of our new design thinking spaces in our upper school! Lots of white board space #DTk12chat pic.twitter.com/Ls1QuLsI7n
Big question for teachers: how will I "fit in" ideation - Ts who are committed find the time and assess alternatively #DTk12chat